Monday, April 14, 2008

Flashback

progress

This is an older piece I did when I was still going to Fresno State, so its probably almost three years old. I promise I'll get some newer work up soon, but I found this piece the other day and it kind of hit me with a lot of emotion. I did this with the idea of double exposing a portrait of my mom with something that was descriptive of her; her name is Robin and she has lots of little bird figurines all over the place. First I shot the roll with the pictures of various birds around the house, and then rewound the film and started taking my mom's piture.

Normally my mom doesn't really like having her photo taken. And whenever a picture of her is taken, she's smiling and posing for the camera. I remember when I was shooting this roll of film she did the same thing throughout most of the roll, she smiled and faced the camera. Finally, when I was almost done with the roll, my dad made some loud noise outside the door she was standing near, and she frowned in his direction. I snapped this last shot right before she said, "We got into a fight this morning."

My parents normally get along very well, so that was disturbing enough for me at the time. I remember printing this, feeling funny about it, putting it away after I turned it in. Now that I look at it, its not so disturbing as it is surprising how I was able to capture my mom in such a way, and that the double exposed image underneath happened to be a pair of birds. (That always reminded me of my parents together)

This might be an interesting idea to visit on again, but this time doing a portait like this for each of my family members. (Dang that would take forever, I have 4 siblings) I don't know how effective that would be in a fine-art aspect, I mean I don' t know how many people would be interested in seeing pictures of my family (as amazing as we all are). But maybe it would be a nice gift for my family, something to put up somewhere in the house.

4 comments:

fling93 said...

Yeah, the depth of expression in her eyes just makes it.

You should portrait your family. May or may not be art, but I'm starting to think it doesn't matter. For one, it'd probably be art to somebody. For two, there are no such things as failures, just successes and learning experiences. Neither of which is a waste of time (or resources).

Anyway, welcome to the blogosphere! I'd recommend some blogs for you, but almost all my reads are political in nature.

Centa said...

Hi Felix! I'm glad you are reading my blog. :) In a sort of indirect way, I owe a lot of my current work to you.

I'm thinking that yes, photographing my family would be a good idea. Now if I can just convince -them- that is a good idea, heh. Taking pictures of my dad has been notoriously difficult.

jonnyreadme said...

hey, centa. i was just wondering about how u set your exposures for these shots. did u cut the meter reading in half since each frame was exposed twice and so the image wouldn't get blown out?

Centa said...

Hey Johnathan! I did cut the exposure in half. The best method I've come acorss for double exposure is to actually increase the ISO by a factor of four. So if I was shooting 100 speed film, I'd set the ISO on my camera to 400. You'd think that would give you under-exposed negatives, but that formula usually gives me excellent results.